We (Kay Slater and Christopher Alan Slater) have conceived, written, drawn and are running this year’s GottaCon ARG on behalf of GottaCon Conventions and would love for you to play it. Our game is free to play, but requires you to have paid to enter and to retain valid access to the GottaCon Convention. Our service is designed to give you as much freedom and over how you engage with the game and at what level you play. However, please be responsible in what you publish via our WordPress/BuddyPress site and how you engage with others over social media while engaged with the game. In particular, make sure that none of the prohibited items (things like spam, viruses, or serious threats of violence) appear on your profile, get linked to from your profile or are used to take down the game. This is supposed to be fun for everyone!
If you find a profile or player that you believe violates our terms of service, please contact SiSH (firstname.lastname@example.org).
(Note, we’ve decided to make the below Terms of Service available under a Creative Commons Sharealike license, which means you’re more than welcome to steal it and repurpose it for your own use, just make sure to replace references to us with ones to you. We, in turn, are using this thanks to WordPress so if you are going to use it, perhaps you could link to them? They spent a lot of money and time on the below, and other people shouldn’t need to do the same.)
Terms of Service:
The following terms and conditions govern all use of the Chronoventures.com website and all content, services and products available at or through the website, including, but not limited to, MailChimp eblasts and Skookum Monkey’s hosting service, (taken together, the Website). The Website is offered subject to your acceptance without modification of all of the terms and conditions contained herein and all other operating rules, policies and procedures that may be published from time to time on this Site by Kay and Chris Slater (collectively, the “Agreement”). If you reside in North America, your agreement is with GottaCon.
Please read this Agreement carefully before accessing or using the Website. By accessing or using any part of the website, you agree to become bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement. If you do not agree to all the terms and conditions of this agreement, then you may not access the Website or use any services. If these terms and conditions are considered an offer by GottaCon, acceptance is expressly limited to these terms.
The Website is not directed to children younger than 13, and service on the Website is only offered to users 13 years of age or older. If you are under 13 years old, please do not register to use the Website. Any person who registers as a user or provides their personal information to the Website represents that they are 13 years of age or older. If the player is under the age of 13 and are registered by a legal parent or guardian, the email associated with the account must be owned and managed by that same legal parent or guardian on their child’s behalf.
- Your Chronoventures Account If you create an account on the Website, you are responsible for maintaining the security of your account, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under the account and any other actions taken in connection with the website and ARG. You must not describe or assign keywords to your account in a misleading or unlawful manner, including in a manner intended to trade on the name or reputation of others, and GottaCon may change or remove any description or keyword that it considers inappropriate or unlawful, or otherwise likely to causeGottaCon liability. You must immediately notify GottaCon of any unauthorized uses of your blog, your account or any other breaches of security.GottaCon will not be liable for any acts or omissions by You, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omissions.
- Responsibility of Contributors. If you operate an account, comment on a post, post material to the Website, post links on the Website, or otherwise make (or allow any third party to make) material available by means of the Website (any such material, “Content”), you are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content. That is the case regardless of what form the Content takes, which includes, but is not limited to text, photo, video, audio, or code. By making Content available, you represent and warrant that your content does not violate these terms or the User Guidelines. By submitting Content to GottaCon for inclusion on your account, you grantGottaCon a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing, and promoting your blog. This license allowsGottaCon to make publicly-posted content available to third parties selected by GottaCon so that these third parties can analyze and distribute (but not publicly display) your content through their services. You also give other Chrononventures.com users permission to share your Content on other websites and add their own Content to it (aka to reblog your Content), so long as they use only a portion of your post and they give you credit as the original author by linking back to your account. If you delete Content, GottaCon will use reasonable efforts to remove it from the Website, but you acknowledge that caching or references to the Content may not be made immediately unavailable. Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, GottaCon has the right (though not the obligation) to, in GottaCon’s sole discretion (i) refuse or remove any content that, in GottaCon’s reasonable opinion, violates any GottaCon’s policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (ii) terminate or deny access to and use of the Website to any individual or entity for any reason, in GottaCon’s sole discretion. GottaCon will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid.
- Payment and Renewal.
- Access to the ARG.
By creating and participating in the ARG, you agree to pay GottaCon the convention ticket access (Friday, Saturday and Sunday daypasses or Full Weekend passes) for that service. Payments will be charged prior to entry of the convention and will cover the use of this service for the time the pass allows. Site visitors engaged in the game, but not actually on site forfeit any access to prizes.
If you are not available, in person, to collect your prize from the Special Events desk by 5PM on Sunday, March 2nd, you forfeit the win. There will be no exceptions – we will not allow players to collect prizes on behalf of other players – it is simply not fair to those gamers who stay all weekend. You will need to show a valid Sunday-access (or full-weekend) GottaCon pass and your ID to collect the prize.
- Access to the ARG.
- Responsibility of Website Visitors. GottaCon has not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, posted to the Website, and cannot therefore be responsible for that material’s content, use or effects. By operating the Website,GottaCon does not represent or imply that it endorses the material there posted, or that it believes such material to be accurate, useful or non-harmful. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The Website may contain content that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable, as well as content containing technical inaccuracies, typographical mistakes, and other errors. The Website may also contain material that violates the privacy or publicity rights, or infringes the intellectual property and other proprietary rights, of third parties, or the downloading, copying or use of which is subject to additional terms and conditions, stated or unstated. GottaCon disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from the use by visitors of the Website, or from any downloading by those visitors of content there posted.
- Content Posted on Other Websites. We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, made available through the websites and webpages to which GottaCon.com links, and that link to GottaCon.com. GottaCon does not have any control over those non-GottaCon websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to a non-GottaCon website or webpage, GottaCon does not represent or imply that it endorses such website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. GottaCon disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of non-GottaCon websites and webpages.
- Copyright Infringement and DMCA Policy. As GottaCon asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by Chronoventures.com violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify GottaCon in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) Policy. GottaCon will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. GottaCon will terminate a visitor’s access to and use of the Website if, under appropriate circumstances, the visitor is determined to be a repeat infringer of the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of GottaCon or others. In the case of such termination, GottaCon will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid to GottaCon.
- Intellectual Property. This Agreement does not transfer from GottaCon, Kay Slater or Christopher Alan Slater, to you any GottaCon or third party intellectual property, and all right, title and interest in and to such property will remain (as between the parties) solely with GottaCon. GottaCon, the CHRONOVENTURES’ logo, and all other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with GottaCon.com, or the Website are trademarks or registered trademarks of GottaCon or GottaCon’s licensors. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with the Website may be the trademarks of other third parties. Your use of the Website grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any GottaCon or third-party trademarks.
- Advertisements. GottaCon reserves the right to display advertisements on your account.
- Attribution. GottaCon reserves the right to display attribution links such as ‘account at GottaCon.com,’ theme author, and font attribution in your blog footer or toolbar.
- Changes. We are constantly updating our services, and that means sometimes we have to change the legal terms under which our services are offered. If we make changes that are material, we will let you know by posting on one of our blogs, or by sending you an email or other communication before the changes take effect. The notice will designate a reasonable period of time after which the new Terms will take effect. If you disagree with our changes, then you should stop using Chronoventures.com within the designated notice period. Your continued use of Chronoventures.com will be subject to the new Terms. However, any dispute that arose before the changes shall be governed by the Terms (including the binding individual arbitration clause) that were in place when the dispute arose.
- Termination. GottaCon may terminate your access to all or any part of the Website at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. If you wish to terminate this Agreement or your Chronoventures.com account (if you have one), you may simply discontinue using the Website. All provisions of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.
- Disclaimer of Warranties. The Website is provided “as is”. GottaCon and its suppliers and licensors hereby disclaim all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Neither GottaCon nor its suppliers and licensors, makes any warranty that the Website will be error free or that access thereto will be continuous or uninterrupted. If you’re actually reading this, here’s a treat. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Website at your own discretion and risk.
- Limitation of Liability. In no event will GottaCon, or its suppliers or licensors, be liable with respect to any subject matter of this agreement under any contract, negligence, strict liability or other legal or equitable theory for: (i) any special, incidental or consequential damages; (ii) the cost of procurement for substitute products or services; (iii) for interruption of use or loss or corruption of data; or (iv) for any amounts that exceed the fees paid by you to GottaCon under this agreement during the twelve (12) month period prior to the cause of action. GottaCon shall have no liability for any failure or delay due to matters beyond their reasonable control. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.
- Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless GottaCon, its contractors, and its licensors, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the Website, including but not limited to your violation of this Agreement.
- Translation. These Terms of Service were originally written in English (US). We may translate these Terms into other languages. In the event of a conflict between a translated version of these Terms of Service and the English version, the English version will control.
- Miscellaneous. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between GottaCon and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of GottaCon, or by the posting by GottaCon of a revised version. Except to the extent applicable law, if any, provides otherwise, this Agreement, any access to or use of the Website will be governed by the laws of the province of British Columbia, Canada., excluding its conflict of law provisions, and the proper venue for any disputes arising out of or relating to any of the same will be the provincial and federal courts located in Victoria, British Columbia. Except for claims for injunctive or equitable relief or claims regarding intellectual property rights (which may be brought in any competent court without the posting of a bond), any dispute arising under this Agreement shall be finally settled in accordance with the Comprehensive Arbitration Rules of the Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Service, Inc. (“JAMS”) by three arbitrators appointed in accordance with such Rules. The arbitration shall take place in Victoria, British Columbia, or Vancouver, British Columbia in the English language and the arbitral decision may be enforced in any court. The prevailing party in any action or proceeding to enforce this Agreement shall be entitled to costs and attorneys’ fees. If any part of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, that part will be construed to reflect the parties’ original intent, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of this Agreement or any breach thereof, in any one instance, will not waive such term or condition or any subsequent breach thereof. You may assign your rights under this Agreement to any party that consents to, and agrees to be bound by, its terms and conditions; GottaCon may assign its rights under this Agreement without condition. This Agreement will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.